Decided to document my baking fail today. This recipe is entitled “Brown Butter Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies”. First I must tell you, I am a damn good baker. But, sometimes when you try a new recipe, you don’t know if it’s going to be good. Especially if you find it on a food blog!!! It was a very easy recipe, using red velvet cake mix and brown butter. I normally make red velvet cake from scratch, so I don’t know what prompted me to buy a mix. So, when I found this recipe I was like “Finally something I can do with that damn red velvet cake mix!”
Now for my bitch session.
1) Just look at the size of those cookies! I used a small cookie scoop, damnit!
2) They look like they were colored with beets. Where is the bright red?
3) Where are the goddamn crinkles?!? They are CRINKLE cookies!!!
4) I was instructed to roll the cookie dough balls in powdered sugar before baking them. Being the experienced baker I am, I did question this. But, I did it anyways! The result is cookies that look moldy. Eww…
5) The texture is more like cake than that of a cookie. Maybe if they had CRINKLES the texture would be more like a cookie.
6) I even used the same exact cake mix that was used in the recipe!